Submitting a claim to Renfe
You can submit a claim directly to Renfe for a delay or disruption to your trip, or in the event of serious illness or bereavement.
The following guidelines will assist you to submit a claim to Renfe via their online form. Renfe will review your claim and offer reimbursement in accordance with the Conditions of Carriage ( CIV rules). See also What happens if I miss my connection?
IN THIS ARTICLE
Submitting your claim
Claims should be submitted to Renfe directly via this online form.
- Select the appropriate department. For tickets sold via Loco2, this is usually long-distance AVE or Mid-distance (Media Distancia). If you're not sure, check your ticket/s. Choose 'complaint' for the nature of your query.
- Enter your personal details including name and surname, email address and telephone number (including international dialling code, with 00 prefix).
Follow the prompts to specify the details of the affected journey with the following information:
- Train number ("Número de Tren"). You can find these on your ticket, in your confirmation email or Loco2 account.
- The date of travel ("Fecha Incidente").
- Passport number ("doc. de identidad") if requested.
Enter the details of your claim in the 'comments' box. It's recommended to include details of the affected journey (departure and arrival stations), as well as any specifics about the date and time of disruption if applicable, or a short explanation of the reason for the claim.
You should also include Renfe's order and ticket number/s, which can be found at the top of your tickets ALFHPZ / 951001155203 (see Understanding your Spanish ticket for help finding these).
Tracking your claim
Once you submit your form, Renfe staff from Posventa (which means "after sales" in Spanish) will respond by email with a reference number e.g. PVSC.2014.111000, which should be included in future correspondence.
Renfe staff may ask you to supply additional information by email e.g.
- Copies of your tickets.
- Receipts for additional costs or new tickets.
- Proof of illness/bereavement e.g. hospitalisation letter etc) if appropriate.
- Your bank details (IBAN number or BIC code) in order for approved compensation to be paid.
Approved refunds will usually be paid within one month of Renfe receiving your claim. It can take longer if there is a high volume of claims, for instance during a national rail strike.
It is not generally possible for Loco2 to check the status of claims that have been submitted directly to the rail operator. But in the unlikely event that you do not receive a response within one month, contact us with your claim reference number and we'll do our best to help.
How will the refund be paid?
Renfe may make payment via bank transfer to an account specified by you, or send you a cheque. In some instances, Renfe may send a credit note to Loco2, which we can process onto the card you used to place the order. Note that it can take several weeks for these to be received by Loco2 after they're approved by Renfe, so please be patient if we don't receive your credit right away.